WORSHIP - SUNDAY, MAY 3


Centering and Welcome

Christ is risen!
He is risen, indeed!

Special Music “Risen”



Call to Worship (Psalm 23)

The Lord is my Shepherd,
I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside still waters;
He restores my soul.
He leads me in right paths
for his name’s sake
Even though I walk through the darkest valley,
I fear no evil, for you are with me.
Your rod and your staff
They comfort me.
You preparest a table before me
In the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;.
My cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy will follow me
All the days of my life
And I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
My whole life long.

**Hymn “Precious Lord, Take My Hand”


Porter's Primary: PRAYER ~ "Jesus, Tender Shepherd, Hear Me . . ."


Opening Prayer

Holy Shepherd, you know your sheep by name. lead us to safety through the valley of COVID-19.

Bring wisdom to doctors. Give understanding to scientists. Endow caregivers with compassion and generosity. Bring healing to those who are ill.
Protect those who are most at risk. Give comfort to those who have lost a loved one. Welcome those who have died into your eternal home. Stabilize our communities. Unite us in our compassion.
Remove all fear from our hearts. Fill us with confidence in your care. Guide us by your voice, that we may walk in certainty and security to the joyous feast you have prepared for us in your house, where we celebrate with your forever. We pray these things in the name of our Redeemer, Jesus Christ, who first taught us to pray:
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth
as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those
who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory forever. Amen
Good News
We have been forgiven and we are always loved.


Special Music “My Deliverer”


Sunday School Lesson: David and The 23rd Psalm

Children’s Message “What We Want”

Sometimes we write lists before we go to the grocery store, so we won’t forget anything. Sometimes we write to-do lists when we have a lot of things we have to do. Have you ever written a list?

I wrote a list of things that I want! Let’s see what I have on here…
A fuzzy warm blanket. Doesn’t that sound nice? What else… a new toy to play with when I’m bored… maybe a new bike… these are all things that I want.

I wrote this list, but then I was reading in my Bible this morning in the book of Psalm, chapter 23. I want to share it with you.
It says, “The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.” I shall not be in want! Did you hear that? The Bible tells us that with the Lord as our shepherd, we will have everything we need or want!

Let’s keep reading… “He makes me lie down in green pastures… he restores my soul, he comforts me… my cup overflows!” So that means instead of a warm fuzzy blanket, I have God to comfort me!

When my soul is restless, when I feel bored, God will restore my soul! When I feel like I don’t have enough, and I want something more… God will show me that he has made my cup overflow. That is amazing!

After I read that, I made a new list. I wrote? “Jesus.” Because I know that even though I may see fun toys or comfy blankets in the world,  the only thing I really need or want is Jesus.

I’m going to carry this list in my pocket, to remind me.

Let’s pray: Hello, Jesus. Thank you for always being with us. Thank you for making sure we have everything we need. Amen.


Giving Thanks Even though we are not able meet together, please continue to financially support the mission of God and the ministry of Christ through your gifts and offerings by contributing either through the mail or by electronic giving.  Thank you.

Special Music Green Pastures and Still Waters”


Prayer  

Heavenly Father, we seek to be the sheep of your holy pasture. As we dedicate these offerings, helps us to examine carefully the deepest recesses of our own hearts. Guide our ways so that we may share abundantly your love and your compassion with those seeking your pasture. We pray in the name of the Risen One. Amen.















Song of the Heart “Savior Like a Shepherd Lead Us”

Scripture Reading John 10: 1-10



The Message “Shepherd or Gate?” Pastor Dave Barrett

HE IS RISEN!

HE IS RISEN INDEED!

A few years ago, Sally and I traveled with a group to Ireland. Prior to our going, I was told by an acquaintance that Ireland was not very exciting and not worth visiting. We would be disappointed. I was told that there was nothing to see in Ireland except green grass and sheep. We went anyway. I am very glad we did. Yes, there is a lot of green grass and sheep, but there is also a beautiful countryside filled with warm and welcoming people. And they speak English. Ireland is a beautiful and exciting place to visit and one which I hope to visit again

One of the numerous stops on our tour was to a working sheep farm. The owner explained about the sheep, their usefulness, their care and then introduced us to his working sheep dog. The sheep dog’s name was Jack. The owner demonstrated how through a system of calls and whistles, Jack corralled and collected the sheep, directed and moved the flock around the pastures all without injury or damage to the sheep. It truly was an impressive exhibition of an extremely well trained sheep dog working with his shepherd tending sheep.

Here is a picture of Jack at work, tending the sheep.

The farmer also explained that there are sheep dog competitions. He stated that Jack had entered several such competitions, placed very well and was well known in the area. I will leave to your imagination to describe a sheep dog competition.

Before we wrestle with the scripture lesson for today, let’s begin with a unifying statement. For the past several years we as a United Methodist congregation have made a statement following the Lord’s Prayer. We have said together responsively, “Hear the good news!. We have been forgiven, and we are always loved.” Those statements are directly connected to John’s scripture lessons for today:

  1. Hear the good news!
  2. We have been forgiven!
  3. We are always loved!

Let’s put this scripture lesson in context. Immediately preceding this lesson, Jesus is in conversations with Jewish leaders. They are discussing the young man whom was born blind and Jesus heals. Jesus wants those gathered around him to not only see the difference in the responses between him and the Jewish leaders to this young man; but also to understand the concept of good shepherds and bad shepherds, good leaders and bad leaders. Jesus wants those gathered around him to comprehend how some leaders will tend and care for those in need; and how some will simply continue to abuse, neglect and take advantage of those whom are in need.

Immediately following this scripture lesson, Jesus makes the statement that he is the good shepherd. So this scripture lesson is to instruct us not only in the qualities of a good shepherd; but also instruct us in how we get to the place where God’s love prevails.

We are to understand that a good shepherd comes to us directly. He does not climb over walls or come to us from a side or at an angle. He does not come to us in the darkness. He comes to us directly. He calls us by name, he knows us. And we know him. He leads us out. He walks ahead of us. He care for us. And by all those actions, we know that we are loved.

We also are to understand that Jesus is the only way to our God, the Father. We are to understand that through his calling to us, and through our responding to his call, we are saved. Through our interactions and acceptance of Jesus Christ, we have life and we have life abundantly. Through our interactions and acceptance of Jesus Christ, we have been forgiven.

Jesus is both our shepherd and our gate. Let us pray:

Lord we simply say thank you. Thank you for sending your Son, Jesus Christ to us and for us. Thank you for providing us with a shepherd whom truly and deeply loves us for all that we are. And thank you for providing a way for us to come to you, that we may have life abundantly with you. We pray all this in your Son’s name. Amen.


Reflection Questions.


1. What good news has God brought you this week?

2. Do you sometimes have problems accepting God’s forgiveness for yourself? What has God promised us about forgiveness?

3. How have you experienced God’s love this week?



God Blesses Us So That We Can Bless Others | Peter DeHaan


Song of Sending: “You Are Mine”

Benediction

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you, and be gracious onto you. May the Lord lift up the light of His love upon you and give you peace.
God in peace. Serve the Lord.

Going Forth “God Will Take Care of You”

Go Now in Peace”


Song “Every Move I Make”


What is Communion & The Lord's Supper? 10 Things Christians Should ...


LIVE STREAM – HOLY COMMUNION
 9:30 am - Donnellson, Embury and Fort Madison UMCs Facebook pages
 10:30 am:   Youtube -- https://youtu.be/iozH4VyDCA8
  
Please have a piece of bread and a small glass of grape juice ready for each person in your household who is participating.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHRISTIANS AND COFFEE BEANS

OATHS -- GONE WITH THE WIND?

CLAIMED