THE PRESENCE OF COMPASSION

Image result for jesus wept martha and mary

"Jesus wept."  John 11:35
     
     During times of loss, this has been one of most comforting verses in the Gospels for me.  Not that Jesus grieved the loss of Lazarus to the point of tears, but  he wept with -- Mary, Martha and their friends.

      Jesus knew that there was a miracle coming, that soon all tears would be wiped away and a funeral luncheon would be turned into a celebratory feast.  I think that Jesus in an act of love, empathy and compassion, stopped, sat down with them and shared their suffering.  Not with words, but with his physical presence, 
     There are times when sorrow is so deep that no words can reach into its depths.  "Jesus wept" reminds us that there is no depth or darkness where Jesus is not with us, listening to our heart break and holding us in the comfort of his love.

      Christians, as members of the body of Christ, are Jesus' living presence for the world.  For me, in my time of sorrow, the church, my friends and my colleagues in ministry have been the presence of Christ for me through phone calls, cards, acts of kindness, prayers and just being with me, bringing me God's strength through their support and their hugs.  Hugs have been more healing and comforting than words.  For all of this I have been very thankful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHRISTIANS AND COFFEE BEANS

OATHS -- GONE WITH THE WIND?

JUST BECAUSE I'M A LIBERAL ...