TURNING UP THE HEAT




Revelation 3:14-18

To the Church in Laodicea

“To the angel of the church in Laodicea write:

These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God’s creation. I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other!  So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth.  You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.

 

   HERE in north central Michigan, we're just coming off a period of very snowy, dreary and cold days.  Even with just two cats, the thermostat is a matter of daily conversation.  Harley, my calico queen, now recognizes the word "heater" and responds positively when I ask if she wants me to turn the space heater on in the living room.  

     In the midst of the chilly weather, I've been "chewing" on Revelation 3:14-18 this week, and It's a warning to the church in Laodicea about being luke warm.  My sense is that the church has been fairly successful and become complacent.  Maybe they've become to confident in themselves, and forgotten whose they are and what their mission is.

     Many of us remember the "golden age" of the church after World War II when all a church had to do was open the doors and the pews would be full, the Sunday school classes were overflowing with Baby Boomers, there were growing youth groups, and large choirs.  We didn't have to work to get people to come to church.  We didn't have to actively invite people to come, and our growth was biological and not evangelical.

    Mission and ministries became programs.  Serving became volunteering.  Our purpose became taking care of ourselves, meeting the budget and filling the pews in order to do so.  There's a feeling that we're stuck and going no where.  When did we forget that God blesses fruitfulness and not facilities and balanced budgets?

    So how do we turn up the heat?

Revelation 3:19-20

"Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent.  Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me."

    In his book, When Christians Get It Wrong, Adam Hamilton states that we are in danger of losing a whole generation unless we repent:  honestly admit how we're getting it wrong and return to being the church God called us to be.  It requires that we ask, "What would Jesus want us to do," rather than what's the easiest thing we can do without the least amount of effort.  We've forgotten that being a Christian isn't easy.  No matter who we are, whether we're the pastor or a lay person, we're responsible for our own spiritual growth and living out the love of God in our lives.

    We'll discover the fullness of what God has for us when we seek God with all our hearts and ask, "Lord, what do we need to do to turn up the heat in our lives and in our churches?"  

    After all, who wants Jesus to spit us out?

    

    

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHRISTIANS AND COFFEE BEANS

OATHS -- GONE WITH THE WIND?

JUST BECAUSE I'M A LIBERAL ...