FREEDOM FROM SELF-CONDEMNATION


Image result for self condemnation

Jeremiah 1:4-10

I think I usually have a pretty realistic idea of what I can and can’t do. For example, I know that with practice, I can make a basket, but I know I have neither the height nor the athletic talent to slam dunk a basket ball.

Sometimes, however, my perception of what I can and can’t do may not be based in reality and God’s truth but rather in negative self talk, which can turn into self-condemnation, leading to self-sabotage.



It’s the end of a long day. I’m finally able to sit down and have a few minutes to myself. The house is quiet, but my mind is not at peace. The voices begin to speak. “You really blew that one today! What kind of Christian are you? Look at all this clutter? You’re such a poor housekeeper. Those pants are getting a bit tight – you’re so fat!” Has that ever happened to you?

Such negative thoughts can often become what we believe is true of our selves and affects what we believe we can and can’t do. Listen to the negative self-talk in Jeremiah’s response to God’s call to the office of prophet. Even though God intimately knows Jeremiah and his plans for the fifteen year old’s life

Ah, Lord God! Truly I do not know how to speak, for I am only a boy.”  (Jeremiah 1:6) He’s only a kid – he doesn’t know anything. He can’t even grow a beard yet! Who’s going to listen to him, who’s going to take him seriously?

The worse negative self-talk, I believe, is when we start replaying our past mistakes and failures and we mercilessly beat ourselves up. We condemn ourselves thinking, “What I did was unforgivable. I’m worthless. I’m a failure. If people knew who I really am, they would hate me. I am such a bad person.”

When we buy into self-condemnation, we’re saying that Christ’s sacrifice wasn’t enough, and it’s only by punishing ourselves that we can truly atone for our wrongdoings and short comings. Romans 8:1 tells us “There is there now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.” Jesus paid the price for our sins, once and for all. Through Christ, we are forgiven.

It’s vital to remember that all that debilitating negative self-talk is a lie. God’s Word tells us a different story:
  • We have worth because we are made in the image of God (Genesis 1:26; 9:6).
  • When we turn away from God, God continues to love us (1 John 4:10.
  • As a child of God, we are forgiven (1 John 1:9).
  • We are empowered by the Holy Spirit to live an abundant life that reflects Christ in all we do (Romans 8:12-14).

That’s the truth, and that truth can set us free to be the people God has created us to be.

How can we be freed from self-condemnation? Freedom from self condemnation begins with taking the focus off ourselves and turning to Christ. Trust in Jesus’ sufficiency to atone our sins and in the power of his love and grace to free us from the chains of self-condemnation. Yes, confess and repent of our sins, and accept and put our faith in the gifts of God’s mercy and forgiveness.

Then we arm ourselves against negative self-talk with God’s word. Memorize scripture that affirms who we are in Christ so that we can speak truth to the lies we tell ourselves.

And remember these two things. First, like Jeremiah, God has known us and claimed us from the time we came into being and has a plan for our lives, a plan for hope and a future, not for despair and condemnation. Secondly, Christ is always with us to help us and empower us to be the awesome people God created us to be.

In the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHRISTIANS AND COFFEE BEANS

OATHS -- GONE WITH THE WIND?

WATER INTO WINE