THE NEW COMMANDMENT OF MAUNDY THURSDAY


Image result for I give you a new commandment public domain
"Abide in me as I abide in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me."











"Kneels at the feet of his friends, silently washes their feet, Master who acts as a slave to them."*  And after doing so, Jesus said to his disciples, "I have set you an example ..." (John 13:15)

The example that Jesus has set for all of us is how to love.  Jesus himself has said that the greatest commandment is to love the Lord God with all of our passion, prayer, intelligence and energy, and just as important, love others as well as we love ourselves.  (see Mark 12:28-31, MSG)

Yet, you and I know that our capacity for self-love can be limited.  It can be scarred, wounded and twisted.  It can become self-protective, putting up walls against other people and even God.  Considering what's going on the world today, I don't think my self-love is going to make much of a difference.  Thinking about it makes me feel ... powerless, hopeless.

I think that because Jesus knows us and understands our struggles, he gave his disciples and us a new commandment that night:  "Love one another as I have loved you."  So important, that he repeated it twice in his conversation with them over the Passover meal.

That only makes it seem more daunting until I remember what John Wesley taught -- with every commandment of God, comes a promise.  Jesus said to those around the table, "Live in me, and I will live in you.  Without me, nothing is possible."

When we plug into Christ with all our passion, prayer, intelligence and energy on a 24/7 basis, Jesus, through the Holy Spirit guides us, teaches us and empowers us so that anything is possible through Christ who loves us.  

Through Christ, we can love others as Jesus has loved us.

Love others unconditionally, inclusively and without judgement.  Love our fellow humans, no matter what, with compassion, mercy and forgiveness.  Love them humbly, serving them and seeking justice for them.  Love them in a way that will transform the world.

As we gather around the Lord's table tonight, we are called to remember.  To remember what Christ has done for us, that Christ is alive and active in our lives today, and the future Christ has for us.

We also remember that each of us has been given the example of Christ, called by God and empowered to be part of God's plan of salvation of the world as agents of Jesus' love.

"Jesu, Jesu, fill us with your love, show us how to serve the neighbors we have from you.*


*"Jesu, Jesu," words and arrangement by Tom Colvin, 1969; based on a Ghana folk song;  United Methodist Hymnal, #432.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHRISTIANS AND COFFEE BEANS

OATHS -- GONE WITH THE WIND?

JUST BECAUSE I'M A LIBERAL ...