STEPPING UP; STEPPING OUT

Matthew 14:22-33

"God is Sleeping"



I think that God is sleeping
Or the angels have resigned
I'm sure there's no one keeping
A peaceful, watchful eye

Lyrics and music by Ann Reed, 1995 Turtlecub Publishing.
Listen on YouTube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq_NYa77dA0

Charlottesville and Barcelona -- hate and violence there and throughout our country and our world.  Is it any wonder that someone might wonder if God is sleeping?

As for me, I don't think God is sleeping; I think God is waiting for us to get out of the boat.

Growing up, I spent a lot of time out on the lake with my dad fishing.  He enjoyed having me along because:

  • I understood the zen of fishing and could sit still for more than five minutes at a time without complaining.
  • I baited my own hook, untangled my own line and took fish off the hook. I could also replace a hook or lure without his assistance.
  • I understood it was my job to clean whatever we both caught.
  • I knew how to swim.

You would think that the last one gave him a great deal of peace of mind when it came to my safety.

Not so.


You see, I had an uncanny ability, when casting toward shore, to hook my lure securely on a sunken log.  Every time.  After losing several lures, Dad made the rule that when I snagged my lure, I had to go in and retrieve it.  I really didn't want to it, but Dad made it clear that we were not going anywhere until I did.  

In Matthew 14:22-33,  Peter steps up on the edge of the safety and comfort of the boat and steps out in over his head among the rolling waves in response to Christ's call.  It starts out well enough until Peter makes the classic mistake we all make from time to time in our walk with Jesus.  He took his eyes off Christ and shifted his focus to the impossibility of what he was trying to do.  Without the focus of his faith on Jesus, he began to sink.

Peter blew it, but before we start casting those stones of criticism, let's consider this.  Peter got out of the boat.  Eleven disciples wouldn't take the risk of obedience.  In that light, who are we to cast the first stones? I know I can't.


 "Dear Lord, be good to me. The sea is so wide and full of broken relationships, fear,war, violence, hate and injustice, and my boat is so small. If it's all right with you, I'd just as soon ignore what is happening in Charlottesville and other parts of our country and weather out the storm in the comfort my little boat."

However, called people don't stay safely on shore or huddle at the bottom of the boat. We are called to do justice and love mercy as we faithfully walk with God.  There is no step of faith that does not come with risk.  There is no act of service to our Lord that does not require the sacrifice of our comfort zone.

I believe that the Holy Spirit is leading us to get out of the boat, step up, step out and speak out against hate, fear and racism.

The first step is to educate ourselves so we can dispel the myths so prevalent in our culture.   So, be informed and know the facts so that we can speak God's truth and justice and embody the love of Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Image result for head in the sand  public domainBurying our heads in the sands of our own fear and comfort only gives permission to groups to continue to spread hate, fear and violence.  To say nothing in times like this gives a new meaning to the sin omission, and like all sin, it does not only impact the sinner but the lives of others as well.

If it was up to me, I would have just cut the line and tied on another lure, but I didn't do that.  I left the boat because I knew my father loved me; I had faith in him to be there if I got into trouble and help me back into the boat.

When Peter began to sink, Christ didn't let him drown.  Jesus pulled him up, and I believe that when Peter looked up into his face, he saw forgiveness, love and compassion.  Compassion because Jesus understands that we become afraid, filled with doubts about our own capabilities, and don't always get it right the first time.  

The problems and challenges we are facing seem beyond our abilities to solve.   Yet, we are a called people, not because we are capable of saving the world, but for our willingness to get out of the boat.  As it says in Philippians 4:13, we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us.

Lord, grant us courage, grant us boldness, for living in this world.

And we, a called people, say "Amen!"


















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHRISTIANS AND COFFEE BEANS

OATHS -- GONE WITH THE WIND?

JUST BECAUSE I'M A LIBERAL ...