OPEN HEARTS AND OPEN MINDS OPEN DOORS


Ephesians 1:15-23
Luke 24:44-53

"The Lord works in mysterious ways with wonders to perform," the old saying goes.  Sometimes there's a two-by-four and a crowbar involved.  Maybe not literally, but ..."







The time I tore down the old chicken coop in the back yard, I spent a lot of time with a crowbar, prying off boards, taking apart the frame of the little building and removing nails.  There's a screeching noise that old, long nails make when they are pried from the two-by-fours they have been holding together for years.

For years, I've described myself as a "two-by-four Christian" because sometimes it takes a whack from the Holy Spirit equivalent of a two-by-four to get my attention.  I also know what it feels like to be that nail that has to be pried out, screeching, from my comfort zone and complacency where I have embedded myself in order for my heart and mind to be open to the the opportunities and God possibilities that await me if only I would pay attention.

Comfort zones are great places to be -- they're safe, they're cozy and things don't change a whole lot.  I have to admit I'm quite fond of my comfort zone, but I've often found that my joy and purpose lie beyond the limits I have set for myself.

When we ask the Holy Spirit to open our hearts and minds to the the wisdom of God's call on our lives and the truth of the scriptures, it becomes clear that it's in Christ that we are fully realized as human beings created in the image of God.  We discover who we are what we are living for.  Long before we even knew about Jesus and found our hope and freedom in Him, God had plans for us.  Plans for glorious living and to have a part in His work of redeeming grace for everything and everybody.

"This is God's Word on the subject ... 'I know what I'm doing.  I have it all planned out -- plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.  When you call on me, when you come and pray to me, I'll listen.  When you come looking for me, you'll find me.  Yes, when you get serious about finding me and want it more than anything else, I'll make sure you won't be disappointed..."  (Jeremiah 29:10-14, MSG)

Hearts and minds open to the guidance of the Holy Spirit and the call of God on our lives opens the doors of God's future to us.  It calls for a willingness to actively engage with God, to seek God's will for our lives and our call to serve the ministry of Christ and the mission of God which is to open the doors of this church and our lives to the mission field that begins just outside our doors.   How is God calling us, as individuals and as the church to serve our neighbors and our community?

The disciples returned to Jerusalem and the temple, overwhelmed with joy to wait in prayer and worship for the power of the Holy Spirit.  During this week before Pentecost Sunday, I invite you to join me in waiting in prayer and worship.  Seeking with all our hearts, let us pray for our church and one other, opening our minds to the doors God is opening for us.

May God grant us wisdom and courage for the living out of God's plan for us to be agents of Christ's redemption and hope in this world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHRISTIANS AND COFFEE BEANS

OATHS -- GONE WITH THE WIND?

JUST BECAUSE I'M A LIBERAL ...