CONNECTED WITH CHRIST

John 15:1-8


W-W-J-D:  "What would Jesus do?  A few years ago, we saw those letters on everything from bracelets to T-shirts.  A good thought, a good reminder, but I think  L-W-W-Y-H-M-D would be more appropriate.

I don't think that when Jesus was faced with a difficult situation during his earthly ministry he sat around pondering, "What would my Father do?"  He didn't have to.  In John 14:10, Jesus tells his disciples, "I am in the Father and the Father is in me."

There was an instantaneous connection between Jesus and the Father, as each was in the other.  Jesus didn't have to wonder about what to do next.  He could go directly to the Father and ask.  There was a constant flow of communication between them.

Jesus then told his disciples, "I am in my Father, you are in me, and I am in you." (John 14:20).  We have a similar connection with Jesus that Jesus and the Father have.  That's why L-W-W-Y-H-M-D, "Lord, what would you have me do?"  is a much better guiding question.  We don't have to wonder, we have a direct line to Jesus -- all we have to do is ask.

In John 15:1-8, Jesus uses the example of a vine and its branches to describe the nature of this vital connection.  Branches are connected into the main vine.  Through the vine and into the branches flows the life-giving sap that brings nourishment to the branches and enables them to put out leaves and produce fruit.  When that flow of sap is restricted, or a branch is removed from the vine, it dies.

Christ is the vine and we are the branches.  The Holy Spirit flows from Christ and into us bringing us live and power.  Without it, we can really do nothing on our own, at least with any long lasting impact.  Without it, we spiritually die on the vine.

So what can we do to stay healthy, productive branches?

Branches need water and nutrients to live, just like we do for healthy bodies and souls.  Spiritually, without the living water and bread of life, like a plant in a drought, we'll start to dry up and wither.  The sources of our spiritual food and water are in God's Word, prayer, worship and in the sacraments which bring us closer to Christ.  Those things are what we call spiritual practices.

Taking on too much on by ourselves can pinch off the flow of the Spirit.  Sometimes it's pride, saying "I can do it myself -- I don't need any help."  Sometimes it's a lack of trust.  We put our problems in God's hands, ask God to intervene, and even ask for guidance and wisdom.  Then we get anxious or fearful and take it all back and do it ourselves.  "Let go and let God" isn't always easy.  It requires humility and faith, but it does keep that spiritual sap flowing.

Something else that can cut off the sap and may even separate us from the Vine is disobedience and rebellion.  I'm talking about digging our heals in and stubbornly refusing to move -- to go where God leads and to do what God wills.

In fact, any kind of sin causes separation between God and ourselves.  Un-confessed and un-repented sin causes connection problems in our relationship with Christ.

So, when I'm feeling kind of withered and disconnected from Christ, here's a few questions I ask myself.

1.  Am I feeding and watering myself on a regular basis through spiritual practices?
2.  Am I trying to take on too much all by myself?
3.  Am I ignoring or refusing God's call to do something?
4.  Is there sin in my life I haven't owned up to?
5.  Are there changes I need to make, with God's help, that will reconnect me?

Jesus said, "Remain in me, and I will remain in you."

That's the place where we want to be -- a place where we are so connected into Christ that we know we don't have to ask, "What would Jesus do?"  We can ask him directly, "Lord, what would you have me do."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHRISTIANS AND COFFEE BEANS

OATHS -- GONE WITH THE WIND?

JUST BECAUSE I'M A LIBERAL ...