GRACE IS ENOUGH

Acts 17:22-31
I Peter 3:13-22

Have I ever told you how Tom and I met? It was in early November, 1976.  We were both substitute teaching at the same high school in a small, rural community in the thumb of Michigan.  In my morning classes, my students told me about the other sub they had, that "weird Mr. Van."

At noon, I sat by myself in the teacher's lounge eating my lunch and reading a book.  There were two other teachers in the room -- an older, middle-aged man and a young man about my age.  The older teacher leaned over and introduced "Tom Van" to me.  Three weeks later, we had our first date.

How many of you were introduced to your spouse or special someone by a friend or family member?  How many of your close friends did you meet through someone else?

There are other important introductions that happen in life, like the first time a newborn child is laid in the arms of a parent.  That child is introduced to the congregation of a church when he or she is baptized. 

As the child grows, parents, grandparents, Sunday School teachers and other church experiences introduce the child to God through Jesus Christ.

In Athens, Paul was introducing the Greeks to God by telling them about who God is.  God, Paul explained to them, doesn't live in shrines and doesn't need human beings to sustain God, because God is sufficient unto God and is the source of life.  God is nothing like their idols made of gold, silver and stone.  God is beyond the limits of their imagination and their makings, and God is their Father.

Paul pointed out that, while they may not know God, they knew of God.  The Athenians had erected a shrine to an "unknown god," and even their poets declared that they are God's children.

Have you noticed how other world religions have teachings that are almost identical to those of Christ and believe in some of the same things Christians believe in?  That's because God's grace is poured out freely to all people throughout all ages and all places of the world.  Human beings will respond to the action of God's grace in different ways and try to express it in their values and beliefs.

I run into some of the same people where ever I go in town -- at the grocery store, the coffee shop and the gas station.  Because they begin to look familiar to me, I often smile and say "hello."  Yet, until someone actually introduces them to me by name, I don't really know them.  I haven't established a relationship.

In the same way, people need someone to introduce them to God and to Christ, someone who knows them and understands how a relationship with God through Christ can make such a wonderful difference in a person's life.

That someone is us.

In my denomination, I'm told that most people only invite someone to church every thirty-two years.  Interesting.  Why is it so easy to introduce our friends to each other and to even play match maker, but we find it so hard to introduce people to Jesus, our very BFF who loves us no matter what and who is our Savior and Redeemer, the source of our joy and hope?

Is it because we're afraid, afraid we're going to say the wrong thing?  Afraid of failing so we don't even try?  Afraid of being embarrassed?  Is it then a matter of trust?  Do we trust that God's grace is enough to not only guide us but to already be on the scene, preparing the way for our invitation?

In Christ, we have nothing to be afraid of and no reason to be embarrassed.  In Christ, grace is enough.  God's power is more than enough even when we know we aren't.  With each of God's commandments comes God's promise of grace that will empower us to be obedient, even to the big one to go and make disciples of the whole world.

Let's be realistic.  Will our invitation always be welcomed an enthusiastic "yes, I'll come to church with you"?  No, but that shouldn't stop us from being doing what we know is the right thing to do.

Will we ever be rejected? Yes, even Paul had a few stones chucked at him from time to time for the Gospel's sake, and isn't it better to suffer doing good than to suffer because we've done nothing at all?

God's incredible grace is at work in the lives and the hearts of human beings everywhere.  Isn't that amazing.! The same grace that spoke to our hearts and saved us is now preparing someone somewhere to receive the gift of salvation.  That same grace is enough, enough for us, God's people, to take the chance and say, "I'd like you to meet my Savior, Jesus Christ.  He died to meet you."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHRISTIANS AND COFFEE BEANS

OATHS -- GONE WITH THE WIND?

JUST BECAUSE I'M A LIBERAL ...